These little vegan peanut butter and jam/jelly bites are your favorite childhood sandwich in a cookie!
If you have peanut allergies substitute the peanut butter with any nut butter, or even sunflower seed butter for a completely nut free treat.
- 8 tbsp vegan butter, (softened)
- 3/4 cups peanut butter, or any nut or seed butter you prefer
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 flax “egg” – 1 tbsp ground flax seeds plus 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of your favorite jam or jelly – our favorites are raspberry or blackberry
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Spray a mini muffin pan, or line with mini baking cups.
- Place 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds in a small bowl. Add 3 tablespoons water, stir and allow the mixture to sit for a couple of minutes until it becomes gelatinous.
- Add the room temperature butter, peanut butter and brown sugar in the bowl of your mixer. Beat with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add the flax egg and vanilla extract; mix well.
- Add the baking powder, salt and flour to the peanut butter mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Divide the peanut butter cookie dough in half. Press half the dough into the bottoms of your mini muffin pan (a generous half tablespoon per cookie).
- Add a teaspoon of jam or jelly on top.
- Break off small chunks of the remaining dough and drop them on top of the jam layer, (another generous half tablespoon per cookie).
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow the bites to cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.