This is a very simple, easy recipe for the perfect flaky crust. It works equally well for both sweet and savory pies and tarts.
*The recipe is enough for 2 9-inch pies, or one double crust pie.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted vegan butter, (chilled)
- 6 tbsp ice water
- Mix flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Leave out the sugar if you are making a savory dish.
- Cut cold butter into 1/2 inch cubes, add to food processor and pulse a couple of times.One tablespoon at a time, add enough ice water until moist clumps begin to form.
- Turn the dough out of the food processor. Divide in half. Don’t worry if it seems dry – just keep gently pressing the dough together until you form a disk. If you need you can sprinkle with a few more drops of water. Do not knead or overwork the dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disc of dough into a 13-inch round.
- Gently transfer it to a pie pan, and trim excess. Lightly prick bottom of shell all over with a fork.
- Refrigerate while you prepare your pie filling.
- If you are not using it right away, wrap each disk and refrigerate. You can also freeze the dough and defrost overnight in the refrigerator before using.
If your pie requires blind baking:
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Remove your pie pan from the refrigerator and line with parchment paper (not wax paper – the wax will begin to melt in the heat of the oven).
- Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake until pastry is set and pale golden around the edge, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove parchment and weights and bake shell until pale golden all over, 5 to 10 minutes more.